Elisabeth Collins, PMHNP-BC Female
Elisabeth “Liz” Collins, PMHNP-BC, is a board-certified child and family psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner with more than fifteen years experience working in mental health. She earned her masters from the University of California, San Francisco in 2012 and has been working as a community mental health nurse practitioner since. Previously she provided skills training, substance use treatment, and individual and group therapy to children and adults. These past experiences help her provide a rich and integrated approach to medication management, focusing on the wisdom and goals of her patients. She makes it a priority to hold a supportive and safe space for individuals of all races, religions, genders, orientations, cultures, and abilities. Her treatment style is to collaborate with the patient in creating a wellness plan that integrates medications and support from non-pharmaceutical interventions such as exercise, sleep hygiene, spiritual practices, social involvement, and psychotherapy with a therapist.
Treatment focuses include: depression, trauma and posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), attention deficit disorders (ADHD, formerly ADD), affective disorders (Bipolar Disorders), substance use disorders (alcohol, benzodiazepines, tobacco, harm reduction) and managing anxiety and panic disorders without benzodiazepines. Due to the evidence* of the risks of benzodiazepines (Xanax, Klonipin, Ativan, Valium, and others) she does not use these medications to manage symptoms but works with patients to find effective alternatives and then slowly, gently, discontinue dependence or use of benzodiazepines and controlled sedative medications.
Telemedicine Appointments Available
For your first appointment with Lis, please:
– Arrive 20 minutes before your scheduled appointment to complete paperwork that will be used during the assessment.
– Parking is limited in downtown Oakland and the 12th street BART station is conveniently located just below our building.
– Bring medications, medical records, and some notes on what is bothering you and your goals for treatment.
– During the assessment, Lis will ask about current mental health symptoms, previous psychiatric symptoms and treatment, past medical and social history, and your goals for treatment.
– If started on time, with the intake paperwork completed, the appointment allows 50 minutes to meet.
Visit us at our Oakland location
1212 Broadway Street
Oakland, CA 94612